Helping to make recovery happen
Sober Sports Victoria is committed to providing a safe, fun, and supportive atmosphere for participants to enjoy the benefits of sport, recreation, and physical activity. We pride ourselves on offering equal access to all interested participants by attempting to remove the barriers that often hinder participation.
We aim to discard the notion that recovery has to be boring. For many people in recovery, life can often seem mundane compared to the recklessness and excitement often associated with active addiction. Sober Sports Victoria wants to help those in recovery develop a recovery lifestyle that is healthy, meaningful, and enjoyable. We encourage input from participants as we strive to expand our list of offered activities to meet the needs and requests of those involved.
Utilize sport and recreation as foundations for addiction recovery support, promote addiction advocacy and awareness, and encourage lifestyles and relationships beneficial to individual wellness.
Widespread support and acceptance for individuals recovering from addictions within all Canadian communities.
- Fostering positive and supportive atmospheres for participants to receive and enjoy the physical, mental, emotional, and social benefits of sport and recreation.
- Providing a safe, supportive, and fun environment that allows individuals to participate in activities and develop relationships supportive to their recovery.
- Offer daily activities for recovering individuals to participate in within Victoria’s Capital Regional District.
- Provide physical activities in conjunction with recovery coaching in order to address both physical and mental health.
- Create a community within Victoria that fosters new, healthier relationships and encourages participation in activities and past-times beneficial to addiction recovery and community public health.
Over the last few decades, new research findings have called into question conventional paradigms of addiction treatment. One large result of this evolution has been our understanding of the importance of exercise and physical activity as it relates to all aspects of health and wellness, especially among those in addiction treatment and recovery. The physical, psychological, social, and spiritual benefits can no longer be refuted and, as a result, most evidence-based treatment programs offer some type of fitness program.
Sunshine Coast Health Centre (SCHC) introduced a fitness program in 2008. Of particular success were the group recreation and sport activities such as hiking, softball, and road hockey. These health-based activities gave clients the opportunity to improve their level of fitness while also cultivating a sense of community in a relaxed and fun atmosphere. Clients attending SCHC often discussed the lack of recovery supportive fitness and recreation services in their own communities. SCHC’s attempt to address this unmet need in clients resulted in the creation of Sober Sports Victoria.
- Those attending Sober Sports activities are asked to not consume alcohol or drugs on the day of participation.
- While friendly competition is encouraged, reckless or dangerous play will not be tolerated.
- Please help maintain a supportive, healthy atmosphere so that all participants feel welcomed and included.